Written by: Justin Reeves
I think we all know at this point that Borderlands 3 was officially announced by Gearbox at PAX East 2019, and we have been flooded with information since then, so let’s try to gather everything up and see wtf is up with Borderlands 3.
First off is the announcement trailer:
The release date for Borderlands 3 is September 13th, 2019, however it will be an Epic Store exclusive for PC players until April 2020.
Who are the vault hunters?
- Moze as THE GUNNER: When Moze needs backup, she digistructs her mech–Iron Bear–for a sucker punch of additional firepower.
- Amara as THE SIREN: A confident, capable brawler with the ability to summon ethereal fists, Amara uses her Siren powers to smash her enemies.
- FL4K as THE BEASTMASTER: FL4K lives for the hunt. So do the loyal beasts that follow their master’s every command. Their preferred prey? Unsuspecting bandits, those poor suckers.
- Zane as THE OPERATIVE: Specializing in battlefield gadgetry, Zane is extremely proficient at slipping into combat, creating chaos, and sneaking back out as if he were never there.
Gimme da Loot!
I read somewhere earlier that there would be a billion guns, but I can’t remember where I read that, and I may have been high…so I can’t guarantee that. However, we do have some solid information about some guns in Borderlands 3.
Gearbox says there are guns that “chase down enemies while hurling verbal insults”, which sounds hilarious. There will be guns with “self-propelling bullet shields”—we don’t know what that means—and guns that shoot volcanoes that then shoot fire.
Borderlands 3 details
- Around 90 percent of Gearbox is working on Borderlands 3. Pitchford told a PAX West panel audience that the studio was full steam ahead on a project “most of you guys want us to be working on.” Since no one was brave enough to shout out “Colonial Marines 2,” that project is most definitely Borderlands.
- Borderlands 2 and The Pre-Sequel are getting free 4K texture packs
- Gearbox saw a few notable departures, including writer and Scooter voice actor Mikey Neumann. Borderlands 2 lead writer Anthony Burch also left the studio in 2015. Claptrap voice actor David Eddings moved on to Rooster Teeth last year.